ITIL refers to the collection of volumes that comprises IT principles and practices to smoothen the delivery of IT services. It stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library. In 1989, the British Government’s Central Computer and Telecommunication Agency introduced the concept. In its initial leg, ITIL consisted of over 30 books, which are codified into best IT practices with the span of time. Furthermore, it serves as the road map towards ensuring that customer-focused, quality-driven, and economical services are provided.
The ITIL service lifecycle focuses on all key aspects of development, management, and measurement. Thus, comprises five main stages which include.
• Planning and strategizing the service
• Designing and documenting the service
• Evaluating and examining the service transitions
• Making the service operative
• Measuring and improving the service
In the year 2005, ITIL gained better momentum and its credibility and utility were well recognized. Accordingly, with this recognition and acceptance, it was aligned with ISO/IEC 20000 service management standards. In the year 2013, Axelos (a joint venture between the cabinet office and Capita) took over the ITIL operations. Passing through several evolutions, ITIL 4 emerged as the significant haul in 2019. Hence, this version provides better collaboration, communication, fewer siloes, and successful integration and Development scopes.
ITIL framework serves as the guide to select, plan, deliver and maintain the entire IT platform. Thus, these processes prove advantageous to complement business requirements. These frameworks have undergone several revisions; as a result, all the processes relating to the IT sector and their lifecycle are included here. Presently there are 5 books that precisely explain the IT framework to govern the ongoing momentum.
ITIL comprises 9 governing principles that provide a better platform for accelerating change, improvement, measurement, and metrics.
• Focus on keeping it simple.
• Initiating the change from where you are.
• Delivering value shall be of core importance.
• Establish a Holistic Work Environment.
• Promote healthy collaboration.
• Ensure Process Transparency.
• Drafting the design to gain a better experience.
• Strengthening the observation.
• Make sure there exists iterative progress.
Despite this roar blockchain still seek a powerful framework to stabilize and strengthen its infrastructure. This framework shall be potent to provide high-level performance, excellent connectivity mechanism, and robust security at large. This is where ITIL comes up as the solution and savior. Yes, over the last 2 decades ITIL has been one of the most prominent and potent IT service management tools.
With its core processes and principles, it has managed to ensure a big boost to blockchain processes. Therefore, there exist several reasons to sort ITIL as the smooth framework to upscale blockchain considering it adheres to the following basic features.
• Allowing effective planning for blockchain activities: The security protocols and basic governing principles of the ITIL can contribute hugely towards healthy planning. Accordingly, the Service design framework of ITIL plays an effective role here in boosting this collaborative planning between blockchain and ITIL.
• Ensuring healthy control over Blockchain processes: Blockchain requires effective governance over its technology usage. It also requires a powerful framework to avoid security risks and establish responsible work culture. The Knowledge Management module of ITIL acts beneficially in this context.
• Simplified yet efficient execution of blockchain principles: Intending to define suitable policies and principles for accelerating transition, ITIL is the best alternative. The Service Transition module of ITIL provides an easy to manage throughout the blockchain system. The well-configured standards and structures of ITIL help to establish a simplified transactional platform.
• Monitoring the performance of the blockchain: Before the execution of suitable policies, the measurement of performance becomes an essential practice. ITIL’s Service Desk facility helps organizations maintain security checks and audits. Additionally, the service validation and testing module of ITIL provides support for conducting several tests for Blockchain processes.
• Maintaining the environs in the blockchain sphere: The ITIL helps to establish effective control over the security with its Continual Service Improvement. Accordingly, these modules with a 7-step process focus on creating new opportunities adhering to the global standard.